Format: PDF Download
Allows sharing with up to five team members within your own organisation
Allows sharing with colleagues within your organisation, saving on a network drive and, provided we are notified, sharing with advisors.
Purchase via subscription:
Provides access to multiple reports.
For tailor-made research
use our consulting service
About this report
This market report reviews the UK pest control industry. It quantifies the pest control market size and historical growth rates while probing key factors behind these figures and exploring segmentation of the market and drivers of profitability.
It also carries out an in-depth analysis of the relevant drivers of industry growth – in particular the macroeconomic environment and factors which determine volume and price for pest control work – setting out historical trends and forecasts.
The forecast for industry growth is based on this analysis of historical trends and growth drivers.
Why is it useful?
The UK pest control market has continued to grow through an uncertain economic period with changes in regulation and working practices.
We believe that, in order for those involved in the market to make the best decisions in this complex and changing environment, they need to have access to the best information and understanding of the trends and drivers. The aim of this report is to provide this.
It is intended for pest control companies themselves, as well as investors, banks, analysts, consultants and other parties with interests in the sector.
What are the sources and methodology?
This report is based on
– Publicly available data including company annual reports, websites, press releases and government statistics
– Interviews with service providers, customers and pest control market experts
– In-depth analysis of the macroeconomic environment and relevant market drivers
– Our own experience of advising companies and investors involved in the pest control and facilities management industries, both in the UK and elsewhere in Europe
Information from these sources has been synthesised and presented clearly and concisely with extensive use of charts and tables to illuminate points and support conclusions.
Pest control market growth and drivers
The total value of the UK pest control market is now approaching £350m, having grown despite the economic downturn
Growth has come from both increases in volume – driven by growth in the number of relevant premises, increased uptake of pest control contracts and trends towards higher service levels – and price
Key industry issues
Key value drivers include sales capability, customer retention, success in selling on higher service levels technician productivity and optimising business mix. Leading companies have launched initiatives in all of these areas.
Entry barriers to local pest control are relatively low with a history of new operators being set up by workers who have learned their trade while either working for a local authority or one of the large companies.
Market and segment entry barriers include accreditation – where a national register of pest control technicians has been created – and having the necessary scale to service national accounts
There is some evidence of both bundling of contracts with other FM services and in-sourcing of pest control
Pest control is a relatively labour intensive business with technician salaries in the region of £18-25,000.
Rentokil remains the market leader, and is the best known brand amongst consumers, with a handful of other operators having the scale to provide a national service and many smaller providers, some of whom operate as part of franchise networks.
Local councils have historically been significant providers of pest control services, although many are reviewing their provision to meet government spending reduction targets with some having already taken the decision to either contract out provision of their services or withdraw them entirely. Numbers of local authority pest control officers are significantly lower than a decade ago.
While pest control is not a particularly cyclical industry, an improving macroeconomic outlook is welcome especially to the extent that it supports increased construction activity, and hence demand for pest control services, in key customer segments.
The UK pest control market – 5
Pest control market definition
History and regulations
Impact of regulation on the market
Customers and contracts
Pest control market size and growth – 9
Pest control market size & growth
Market drivers – 13
Discussion of market drivers
Drivers and their impact
Characteristics of the market – 19
Entry barriers and accreditation
Competitive landscape – 21
Forecasts – 26
Outlook for market drivers
Pest control market forecast
Risks to the forecast
Appendix – 31
List of figures (UK Pest Control Market Report)
1. Pest control segmentation by type of work / % of market value
2. Pest control market segmentation by type of customer / % of market value
3. UK pest control market size / £m
4. International comparisons: pest control market size relative to population / £ per head
5. Profitability of pest control operators / EBIT margin %
6. Revenue per technician / £’000
7. UK GDP in current prices (money GDP), inflation (GDP deflator) and real GDP / % annual changes
8. UK Inflation: Consumer price index and GDP deflator / % annual change
9. UK population growth: historical and forecast / millions
10. UK GDP in current prices (money GDP), inflation (GDP deflator), population and real GDP per head / % annual changes
11. UK food manufacturing turnover, purchases and gross profit / £bn
12. Number of restaurants in the UK / thousands
13. Number of hotel rooms in the UK / thousands
14. UK food retail sales / £bn
15. Density of new residential starts in England / dwellings per hectare
16. UK pest control market shares / £m
17. Pest control provision by local authorities
18. UK GDP in current prices (money GDP), inflation (GDP deflator) and real GDP / % annual changes. Historical and OBR 2012 forecast
19. UK Inflation: Consumer price index and GDP deflator / % annual change. Historical and OBR 2012 forecast
20. UK population growth: historical and forecast / millions
21. Outlook for market drivers
22. UK pest control market forecast / £m
+44 20 7100 7239
UK Pest Control: market insight